Monday 7 December 2009

Sunday Night Blog, Post 4

It's a belated Sunday Night Blog

Stuff happens when I write; stuff happens more when I don’t write. Ergo: I really should write more, or at least regularly. Will do better.

So, the first thing I wanted to share was my promotion. I’ll save the other things for future blogs (if only to ensure they happen). It had been initially discussed in late summer as a hypothetical “how would you feel if?”. I was all for it, but it had to mature and in a way, so had I. Punctuality was never my forte, but every morning I get up with the intention of being there on time, and every time SOMETHING happens. Mostly me, if I’m honest. Too many snoozes. Can’t find the car keys. Can’t find the house keys. Too much temperature variation in the shower (equalling to too much time spent fiddling in order to repair it). Where are the clothes I wanted to wear. Spend too much time dithering or tidying. And then there’s my usual version of organised chaos. I am a walking contradiction and considering how rigid I can be in many things, it’s amazing how my starting time at work gets translated in my wee brain to a “general guideline”.

Anyways, so now I’m going to be part of the Management team at my place of employment, which is great, as it comes with a rise in pay. I still don’t manage anyone, I get half of a person – and she’s awesome. But I guess I have been able to demonstrate that I can manage myself. It helps that my definition of salaried employee is that I get paid to get the job done, in contrast to an hourly employee who gets paid to do his job. Period. He/She only gets paid from signing in to signing out and everything over is “overtime”. Salary doesn’t quite work that way, but as far as I’m concerned, it all works out I think. I firmly believe it all comes out in the wash anyway, so here’s to laundry day!

No comments: