Sunday 19 February 2012

Colston Bassett Stilton - a Rock Star among blues

If perfection in a blue-veined cheese exists, I think I just tried it last week: Colston Bassett Stilton from Neal's Yard Dairy. It was creamy and still crumbled well. The aroma had that pungency to it that it shares with its blue-veined cousins, but it wasn't too strong. Similarly with the rind: on its own, a bit much on the palate, but together with the centre, an incredibly flavourful experience. Looking at its pedigree at the Neal's Yard Dairy site, it is of pasteurised cow's milk and has approx. 35% fat and 23% protein. Apparently, Colston Bassett get their milk from up to 5 different dairies to create this one, singular, and exceptional cheese. Other sites have rated this as one of the best in the world. I haven't tried every Stilton that exists, but after trying this one, every subsequent one will be compared to this treat of a cheese. I've tried to locate the label, but I can't find it. Considering how much I enjoyed it, I don't much care how much it cost. Next time I see it at the Whole Foods/Capers, a piece is going into my basket. Post haste.

PS> found the label: 42 gram piece was $3.69 with the kg price set at $87.90.

No comments: