Wednesday 15 October 2014

Changing the lens

So, the deep and meaningfuls are few in number - and when I do have something to share, I tend to not bother. In an effort to combat this self-publishing malaise, I'm switching gears to whatever's on the internet that is leaving an impression on me - for whatever reason. Feels, inspiration, motivation, joy of sharing a nifty find, and good ole self-promotion. If it needs a name, The Daily Scroll? Things that cannot be unseen?

Here's what caught my attention today (or earlier): Wednesday, October 15, 2014

 My mantra, if ever I had one. Thank you, Sam Maggs (@sammaggs), for verbalising it so very well.  I look forward to more of her verbalising WHEN HER BOOK COMES OUT IN 2015!


In related news,
A film made 25 years ago that set me on the path to 'it's okay to be me'.
Dead Poets Society, I owe you.
15 facts about Dead Poets Society




Ben Whishaw as Richard II - a study in vedantic thought This is Richard's final monologue in the play (just under 3 minutes in length). Whishaw's delivery is incredibly moving (forget the Judeo-Christian imagery that you are being assaulted by if you can) and just think about those thoughts he is expressing. 




Buzzfeed did a little bit of an 'ode to Kirk' from Gilmore Girls. Some of this I can actually relate to. Most of it is just, "Oh. Kirk." If you can think of more, please feel free to share.
20 times Kirk from Gilmore Girls was incredibly awesome





This hatred for equal representation in gaming has to stop. I'm not a gamer and I don't pretend to be (although there is this one Portal T-shirt I REALLY want), but threatening to KILL someone?
Other than the criminality of it, when did gaming stop being, you know, a game?? As in fun?
It's not a treehouse for nine-year-old boys to nail a sign to the door saying "NO GIRLS ALLOWED" - it's an industry, a multi-BILLION dollar industry, and guess what, girls have money too:
to develop games, to own studios, to purchase games, to purchase merch, to purchase all the toys needed/wanted in order to play, to have intelligent (and utterly superfan) conversations about their likes and dislikes, to attend cons. Who'd have thunk it? It's like, girls are PEOPLE!
Sarkeesian cancels talk at US university after massacre threat

 
And now for something lighter:
From Season 2 episode: "Go Where I Send Thee"
(c) Fox / From the Season 2 Sleepy Hollow ep "Go Where I Send Thee"


 Without actually saying so in this post, I think the Mary Sue might be campaigning for Charlize Theron to be Ms Marvel/Carol Danvers. Hmmmm.



Me want. Me (and you) can order it from the
ConsultingFanGeeks Etsy store 

 

A little music - why not hear Lorde's Royals a capella.
Thanks, Eric Alper, for the link. 



Something closer to home: "Perth built highways. Vancouver did not." Guess which one has insane traffic congestion, compounded by the fact that everything goes through water-influenced bottlenecks: tunnels and bridges. Hard to get anywhere - irrespective of destination.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24846192/a-tale-of-two-cities/



An argument against MCU Civil War from Twitter's @nevesytrof:


Do you need more proof of Neil Gaiman's amazing human-ness?
The Mary Sue: Neil Gaiman has no truck with any of that fake geek nonsense



 I'm the official Supernatural recapper for 4YE now!
Season 10 - episode 2 (Reichenbach) recap here



Like Tim Roth? Who doesn't? Want news?
He's going to be in the upcoming rom-com Mr Right!



As they said in the Mary Sue tweet "It's the time of year when a lot of Hocus Pocus pops up on Tumblr"




No comments: